Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Piece of Humble Pie

I have to admit something. Even though I’m a self-proclaimed country girl...I can’t stand the thought of touching those beady-eyed creatures called shrimp barehanded. Let me back up. My sister and brother-in-law just got back from vacationing in North Carolina for their one year anniversary. Frank has an uncle who owns a shrimp boat. So we ordered fresh from the coast shrimp. I love to eat some (not all) seafood. However, I’ve always bought them already “prepared” (for a lack of a better word) and ready to go.

Last night I had the misfortune...ahem...opportunity to de-head about 10 lbs of shrimp...for the first time might I add. I didn’t actually mind doing this. However, I flat refused to touch them until I had a pair of rubber gloves on. I tried to tell myself it was because I didn’t want to slice my fingers on the sharp “razors” on their heads. It was true but not the most accurate path my mind was taking. I just didn’t want to touch those ugly lookin’ things...especially when you kinda feel like they are looking at you. Anywho, two hours later it's done and we now have 8 lbs of shrimp stored in the deep freeze for later. Yum!

This process has made me realize that everyone everywhere has preconceived notions about one thing or another. Just as I thought that I wasn't a hardcore country girl because I just couldn't pick them up and take care of the nasty business. :) Stereotyping is what it's boiled down to.

I've noticed in myself, at one time or another, jump to conclussions about people. If they have a new car, they must have some serious money. However, that is not the case nine times out of ten. I may not have a brand new vehicle but I owe less then what I make in a month on the loan. I have a roof over my head, food in the pantry, a dysfunctional but loving and caring family, and pets that no matter how much I yell at them love me unconditionally. Man, I am blessed!

2 comments:

  1. Good job, C. I've caught myself jumping to conclusions about people; if they're beautiful, they must have a lot of friends and a great life, if they're a jerk, they were just born that way, and have no reason to be like that...but the shrimp are creepy. no preconceived notions there.

    ReplyDelete